Guide to buying quality shock absorbers
Shock absorbers (dampers) perform important functions on a car or on a truck, but the main function of these mechanical devices is to diminish the bumps in the road. A vehicle undergoes a lot in terms of bouncing and shaking from the road, quick starts and stops, speed bumps, and more. To put it simply, traveling on the road without the benefit of dampers would be quite an unpleasant experience. It is important to make sure that you are using quality mechanical devices on your vehicle. Buying quality dampers is practically an investment that you make for your vehicle’s overall performance. In this article, we discuss a few tips on how to buy shock absorbers.
Ensure you have the right kind
It is of great importance to make sure that you are purchasing the right kind of mechanical device for your car. There are many kinds of dampers, so how so do you know which one is right for your vehicle? Well, use these tips in order to determine which one is right for your needs:
- Standard shocks: Any vehicle comes equipped with standard shocks. They are pretty basic, which means that they do not have any special features, and they generally last for 100, 000 miles.
- Gas dampers: Gas dampers are also provided by some manufacturers as original equipment, especially on small vehicles. Similar to standard dampers, they have oil to smoothen the ride, but they are sealed with pressurized nitrogen gas inside. Thanks to the nitrogen, the impact remains cooler and the oil does not thin out.
- Heavy-duty shocks: These dampers have a larger diameter compared to standard ones and they come equipped with beefed-up attachments points and a large center shaft. These kinds of dampers are ideal for vans, trucks, and SUVs.
- Automatic level-control dampers: Typically found on luxury vehicles, they have an air pump that is activated only when the weight distribution of the vehicle suffers differences. Driving with extra passengers or with extra weight determines the air pump to add pressure to the mechanical device and thus compensate for the added weight.
- Air shocks: Air dampers have an air inlet that allows the device to be pressurized with air and pumped so as to lift the vehicle. They are aftermath products that are destined to replace OEM parts.
- Overload dampers: Also known as Coilover shocks, they have a spring coil that is fitted around the outside of the cylinder. The coil aids vehicles to stiffen the reflex action of the impact.
How to buy shock absorbers
Although you can find dampers in brick and mortar stores, you can shop online as well. At online stores you will find a large selection of dampers, not to mention additional products. When using online stores, finding the right mechanical device is not difficult anymore. All you have to do is type the word into the keyword bar and hit the search button. The result will be a number of mechanical parts which are applicable to the vehicle. Choose the one that you need and finalize the transaction.